Sunday, March 15, 2009

Artist Statement for "Portraits"

In 6/o6, I left my 25 year practice of Family Medicine and began painting full time. One of the first pieces I did was a self portrait, which lead to other self portraits (the model was free and willing) and then to portraits of my wife, friends and former patients. My goals were several, but ultimately, I wanted to create mobiles of faces in oil on plexiglass, so I needed subjects and experience in rendering facial features. The portraits were all accomplished in three sittings of three hours each, with additional time for completing the clothing and backgrounds when the subject was not there.
The mobiles were enlarged to three feet by three feet and painted using the pastel portraits as a reference. They were exhibited at the Windham Art Gallery in May 2008, to the delight of the area's children and to the amazement of the child in many of the adults.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home